Tuesday 27 April 2010

The Lady From Shanghai - what happened? part 3

MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS
13 February 2006
"Grammy-winning singer Norah Jones, daughter of Indian musician Ravi Shankar, will make her film debut in the first English-language film by acclaimed Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai.
Wong was originally scheduled to shoot "The Lady From Shanghai", featuring Oscar-winning actress Nicole Kidman, but has delayed the project until 2007 because they have not found a strong male lead actor, a source attending the ongoing Berlin Film Festival said."
http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?id=14139326

22 March 2006
"Wong Kar-wai said his other project, "The Lady From Shanghai" to be led by Hollywood star Nicole Kidman, has been postponed until early next year because the actress was busy filming "Australia" with Russell Crowe."
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1656433,0047.htm

27 May 2006
"Wong is also prepping the thriller Lady From Shanghai starring Nicole Kidman, which will begin production in 2007."
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14712

31 May 2006
Wong Kar-wai told the South China Morning Post that the filming of his next film "The Lady From Shanghai", will begin early next year due to leading actress Nicole Kidman's schedule.
http://english.people.com.cn/200605/29/eng20060529_269407.html

June 2006
Wong Kar-wai started filming "My Blueberry Nights".

27 June 2006
This article begins by talking about "My Blueberry Nights" but also mentions "The Lady From Shanghai":
"Even though this is his first time directing an English language film, Wong Kar Wai has not altered his habit of writing his script as he is filming. He usually gauges the actors' performance for inspiration in creating his scripts. This habit will no doubt create headaches for the film's producer. However, we expect Wong Kar Wai to change his 'special characteristic' next year when working with Nicole Kidman on "The Lady From Shanghai", which has a budget of US$30 million. Because of his high regard for the film and marketing considerations, he himself will write the English language script. With Wong Kar-Wai said to be still having difficulty with the dialogues for the leading man, the filming may have to be postponed yet again."
http://cn.ent.yahoo.com/060627/361/282fs.html

HUGH JACKMAN?
October 2006
Rumours circulate via IMDB boards that Hugh Jackman will star in the film. This seems to be a mix-up with the Baz Luhrmann film "Australia" in which he co-stars with Nicole Kidman (he replaced Russell Crowe).
http://www.asianmoviepulse.com/2009/10/29/the-lady-from-shanghai-is-not-a-remake/

17 October 2006
Variety reported that "...while that film is still in the works, no date has been set yet for Wong's much-awaited Nicole Kidman starrer "The Lady From Shanghai."
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117952010.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

NICOLE KIDMAN DROPS OUT
23 October 2006
"Speaking at the Rome Film Festival, Hollywood star Nicole Kidman said she will give up the role in Hong Kong director Wong Kar-Wai's project "Lady From Shanghai".
The Oscar-winning actress said she wanted to accompany her newlywed singer husband Keith Urban, who entered a rehabilitation treatment center Thursday for alcohol abuse. The Grammy-winning singer is publicly acknowledged as a former cocaine addict."
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/entertainment/2006-10/23/content_714794.htm

November 2006
Interview with Nicole for The Advocate:
You also might do The Lady From Shanghai?
NK: I'm not sure. I'm married now, and part of me says, I want to be close to the person I love and that does not mean sitting in China. So you give up a lot so that you can have your love. The people who are really, really close to me, I want them close to me. I'm at a stage in my life now where I don't want to be away.

9 November 2006
On rumours of Hugh Jackman's involvement in the film:
"Such is Jackman's work rate that it may soon be quicker to list those films in which he is not appearing. For starters, he has definitely not been cast in Wong Kar-Wai's new picture, despite rumours to the contrary. "No, I'm not in it," he chuckles. "But I'd love to be. I heard that rumour, too. I just hope it gets back to him. Can you make sure you print it?"
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200611090311.htm

19 November 2006
"The plan had been to balance the completion of "Blueberry" with preproduction on "The Lady From Shanghai," but Ms. Kidman announced last month that she was pulling out of that film. "None of those reports have been confirmed by anyone involved with the project," Mr. Wong wrote. Without Ms. Kidman, though, he added, "There is no reason to do it."
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/19/movies/19lim.html

20 November 2006
Interview with Hugh Jackman for Latino Review:
Are you going to do 'Lady From Shanghai?'
Jackman: No, I'm not. I read that, or someone told me that it was on IMDB. I was really upset because I think he's brilliant. I love Wong Kar Wai. But no, there is no truth to that. Hopefully he'll read that and think yes to me.
If he asked you would you do it?
Jackman: If he asked me there is an absolute chance, but he hasn't. I don't know why it's up there. It might be because I just did a trip there to promote 'X-Men.' I don't know how that happened. If you know him can you put in a word for me. Good.
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/interview-jackman-talks-the-fountain-1157

27 July 2007
"A much-anticipated project involving Nicole Kidman and Wong Kar-wai is still alive, but it is not easy coordinating the schedules of the Oscar-winning actress and Hong Kong director, Kidman's publicist said Wednesday.
"I can tell you that they still continue to discuss making the movie together. I believe it is a matter of both of their schedules, not just Ms. Kidman's," the publicist, Catherine Olim, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
Charlotte Yu, a spokesman for Wong's production company, Jettone Films, said she didn't know the latest status of the movie, tentatively called "Lady From Shanghai."
Little is known about the movie, and its story has not been made public.
Wong was quoted as saying in May 2005 he had started preparing for the movie. A film consultant told The Associated Press in February 2006 that the project was being delayed to 2007 because Wong hadn't found a strong male lead.
But there are no signs that Wong will start shooting this year. His English debut, "My Blueberry Nights," is scheduled to be released in November and Wong will likely be tied up with promoting that movie until then.
Wong, known for his mood-setting visuals and melancholy soundtracks, has attracted a strong following among the Hollywood elite despite making mostly Chinese-language films.
Kidman has been quoted as calling Wong "God." Director Sofia Coppola paid tribute to the director in her Oscar acceptance speech in 2004. Quentin Tarantino lists Wong's 1994 "Chungking Express" as one of his favorite films."
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/25/arts/AS-A-E-MOV-Nicole-Kidman-Wong-Kar-wai.php

12 November 2007
Interview with Nicole Kidman for Movieweb:
You've worked with some of the best directors today. Is there any director that you haven't got to work with that you would like to and do you think you'll wind up making "The Lady of Shanghai" with Wong Kar Wai?
Nicole Kidman: I'm not willing to go and live in another country for a year. I'm just recently married. So, that's my priority. It's not right for my life right now. I seek out directors who I think are strong voices. I'm not fond of difficult directors, but I'm drawn to that in a way. I really would love to work with Scorsese. I'd love him to construct a film around a woman. I still ask him all the time; because I'd be interested in seeing that movie. I'd like to work with Steven Spielberg. I've known him as a friend for a long time, so I would like to do that. I love working internationally.
If Wong-Kar would shoot sometime a little closer to home then I would like to work with him as well. I'd be willing to go back into Dogville territory at some stage.
http://www.movieweb.com/news/22/24422.php

December 2007
Interview in Glamour magazine, quoting Nicole about "The Lady From Shanghai":
"I choose my project depending on Keith. I regret it, but I won't go to China to make this film."

continued:
http://wongkarwainews.blogspot.com/2010/04/lady-from-shanghai-what-happened-part-4.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails